About Bol, island Brac, Croatia
History of Bol
Bol is the oldest town (settlement) on the coast of the island Brac. It is situated alone on the southern coast of the island Brac. Its history dates back to the beginning of our era, if not earlier. Even back in ancient times it was inhabited. Above the renowned beach Zlatni rat (Golden horn) the remains of Roman water reservoirs from Roman times have been preserved. Piscine certainly wasn't built alone, but rather was a part of a larger complex of an ancient farm buildings (villea rusticae), which is also witnessed by the walls found in surrounding areas. Roman gravestones have also been preserved from these times.
Bol is mentioned in the IX century in relation to Saracens from Crete. It is then listed by sources in the XII century in relation to a meeting of representatives of the island and ecclesiastic authorities which was held in the bishop's palace in Bol (Dioceses) in 1184. At that meeting the specimen of 'Povaljske listine' (the oldest Cyrillic document written in the Croatian language) emerged.
Significant buildings and churches in Bol
A number of churches built in the style of old Croatian architecture have been preserved on island Brac from this time. In Bol, the most significant pre Romanesque church is the Church of St. Ivan and Tudor. In the foundations of this church, on a Roman embankment, a complex of buildings from late antiquity has been discovered. Behind the half - columns of the present day church, pre Romanesque frescos with ornamental content were discovered, while under the mortar of the church walls, a piece of early Christian architecture has been preserved. An area from the VI century has been discovered in front of the church, whose pavement is at sea level.
On the eastern coast of the Bol port a fortified